Carlos Slim Helú was born in Mexico City, January 28, 1940 and he is a Mexican businessman and engineer. He is the twelfth richest man in the world, as he owns assets amounting to 77.2 billion dollars.
Carlos Slim Biography
His parents were Slim Haddad, born Khalil Salim Haddad Aglamaz and Linda Helú Atta, both of Lebanese origin.
Currently, Carlos Slim is one of the richest men on the planet, and has been considered ” King Midas ” of business.
Carlos Slim Career
He inherited his father’s talent for business, from a very young age he already had the visionary mind that has led him to occupy the twentieth position of the richest men in the world.
Carlos Slim graduated as a civil engineer from the National Autonomous University of Mexico, where he also lent his thesis “Applications of Linear Programming in Civil Engineering.
However, his success as an entrepreneur began when he decided to invest in real estate and in the purchase of businesses, which he made prosperous.
In the early 1980’s, and despite the economic crisis in Mexico, Slim made heavy investments in Mexico that led to the acquisition of several companies.
“If my dad, in the midst of the Revolution, with the country shaken, without yet having a family, being a foreigner and without the roots that time gives you, trusted Mexico and its future, how could I not?”, one of the most richest businness men has said in some interviews.
Throughout his career, Carlos’s investments have diversified into various sectors.
Carlos Slim And Carso Group
Founded in 1980, it is the most important conglomerate in Mexico and Latin America, to which companies such as Condumex, Nacobre, Frisco belong, as well as other companies in the transport and telecommunications sectors.
Carlos Slim And Sanborns Group
In 1985, the company that was founded by Frank Sanborns, was acquired by Grupo Carso, opening more than 190 branches throughout the Mexican Republic. In addition to a subdivision called Sanborns Café, dedicated to the cafeteria business.
Carlos Slim And Telmex
In 1990, it acquired Telmex together with France Telecom and SBC Telecomunicaciones. Currently, Telmex leads the telecommunications market in Mexico.
From 1991 to 2006, Telmex has made significant investments in the telecommunications infrastructure in Mexico, close to 30 billion dollars.
Carlos Slim And Financial Group
Although it was founded in 1960, it is considered a relatively new company, since it was in 1992 when Grupo Financiero Inbursa was formally established.
An investment fund and insurance company that was considered in 2019 by Forbes magazine as one of the most valuable companies in the world.
Carlos Slim And American Mobile
Founded in 1986, and later handed over to Telmex in 1987, this company with a presence in 18 countries in Latin America and 8 in Europe, covers mobile telephony with the operator Telcel.
Carlos Slim And Apple
It was in 1997 when the Mexican acquired Apple shares, just a year before iMac was launched, with this he managed to multiply his fortune.
Carlos Slim Prodigy
In the same year, he acquired this internet provider, Slim made this brand a powerful company with which he made an alliance with MSN and launched a portal in Spanish together with Microsoft.
Carlos Slim And The New York Times
On September 10, 2008, the businessman bought 6.4% of the famous newspaper, with an approximate value of 123 million dollars.
Carlos Slim And Football Teams
During 2012, Grupo Carso acquired 35% of the shares of the Spanish soccer team, Real Oviedo, in addition to 30% of the Mexican teams: Club León and Club de Fútbol Pachuca.
Today, Carlos Slim has more than 180 companies and a fortune of approximately 59.8 billion dollars, according to Forbes.
Carlos Slim Foundation
In 1986, the businessman created this non-profit Mexican civil association, with the intention of supporting the development of Mexican society and Latin America.
With an initial capital of 581 million dollars, the foundation serves twelve different areas, these are some of them.
- Health: Through the Carlos Slim Health Institute, founded in 2007.
- Education: Trains parents and educators of children, in addition to teaching free online courses.
- Employment: Training for employment for free, through the platform: “Train yourself for employment“.
- Culture: In 1994 he founded the Soumaya Museum, a non-profit institution dedicated to the conservation, research and dissemination of documents and history books.
Carlos Slim Awards
- Her Majesty Queen Sofía presided over the award ceremony for the Sophia Awards for Excellence, awarded by the Queen Sofía Spanish Institute in New York, to the Spanish historian Carmen Iglesias, the Mexican businessman and philanthropist Carlos Slim and the Spanish chef José Andrés , who was unable to attend the gala in person as he was in the Ukraine.
- Engineer Carlos Slim Helú receives the 2018 National Engineering Award. November 18, 2019.
- The Carlos III University of Madrid awarded Mr. Carlos Slim Helú with the Medal of Honor on October 30, 2019 Madrid, Spain.
- The Rafael Banquells Association awards Ing. Carlos Slim for his professional and philanthropic excellence. October 22, 2019 Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú was recognized with the 2017 National Sports Merit Award for his contribution and creation of organizations for the promotion and promotion of Mexican sports. In the same ceremony, President Enrique Peña Nieto presented the 2017 National Sports Award to outstanding athletes and sports professionals.
- Mr. Carlos Slim received recognition at the IV Edition of the Ibero-American Patronage Awards, organized by the Callia Foundation, for his social commitment to art on February 26, 2018.
- Ing. Carlos Slim Helú receives the Humanitarian Award granted by the Andrea Bocelli Foundation September 8, 2017 Rome, Italy.
- The Appeal of Conscience Foundation presented Ing. Carlos Slim Helú with the Appeal of Conscience Award September 19, 2016.
- Dr. Mercedes Juan, Secretary of Health, presented an award to the Carlos Slim Foundation for its commitment and achievements in favor of organ and tissue donation and transplantation in Mexico October 2, 2015.
- Mr. Carlos Slim is recognized in 2015 and for the third consecutive year, as the Business Leader with the Best Reputation in Mexico by the Corporate Reputation Business Monitor (Merco). August 4, 2015.
- Carlos Slim Foundation receives the International Recognition Award 2015 for its work in favor of global health on March 10, 2015 Houston, Texas, USA.
- Mr. Carlos Slim receives a UNESCO Medal in recognition of his contribution so that Information and Communication Technologies are used for the benefit of the entire population. February 27, 2015. Paris, France.
- Carlos Slim Foundation is designated by Forbes Magazine as the Most Benefactor Business Foundation in Mexico. January 22, 2015.
- Mr. Carlos Slim received the Icon Award for Philanthropy from the Friars Club of New York. The recognition was made at the Friars Foundation Gala and was awarded to Ing. Slim for his philanthropic and humanitarian work. October 7, 2014. New York, USA.
- Mr. Carlos Slim received the 2014 Starlite Humanitarian Award, in recognition of his altruistic work, during the V Edition of the Starlite Gala organized to help foundations and social organizations. August 9, 2014. Marbella, Spain.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú is recognized as the Entrepreneur with the best reputation in Mexico, by the Corporate Reputation Business Monitor (Merco) 2014. May 29, 2014. Mexico City.
- The International Telecommunications Union (ITU) presented Mr. Carlos Slim with the World Award for Telecommunications and the Information Society 2014, in recognition of his leadership and dedication to the development of ICTs and broadband connectivity as a means to achieve sustainable development. May 16, 2014. Geneva, Switzerland.
- “Digital education and job creation are essential factors in which we must focus efforts as a society and a country,” said Mr. Carlos Slim, at the event held by organizations of engineers and architects on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of his Degree as an Engineer. Civil by the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM). May 28, 2013. Mining Palace, Mexico City.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú receives the Medal of Honor from the ISSF President, Mr. Olegario Vázquez Raña. Acapulco, Mexico. March 20, 2013.
- The Business Council for International Understanding presented Mr. Carlos Slim Helú with the Dwight D. Eisenhower Award for Global Leadership. December 12, 2012, New York City.
- Ing. Carlos Slim received the Gibran National Committee Award for his contribution to the dissemination of knowledge of the Lebanese poet, philosopher and painter Gibran Khalil Gibran. September 27, 2012. Beirut, Lebanon.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú was decorated by former President Clinton, with recognition for Leadership in Philanthropy, at the Sixth Annual Clinton Global Citizen Awards Ceremony. September 24, 2012. New York.
- Mr. Carlos Slim received an Honorary Doctorate from George Washington University for his philanthropic career and his contributions to business and community development in Mexico and Latin America. May 20, 2012. Washington, DC, USA .
- The José Pagés Llergo Foundation awarded Mr. Carlos Slim the “Peace and Democracy” Award in the Investment and Development category. April 18, 2012.
- Mr. Carlos Slim Helú received the Grand Cross Medal of the Order of Honor and Merit from the National President of the Mexican Red Cross, Daniel Goñi Díaz, and the President of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Cross Societies. Red Crescent, Tadateru Konoe, in recognition of his great humanitarian career. February 21, 2012. Mexico City.
- The Franco-Mexican Chamber of Commerce and Industry presented Mr. Carlos Slim with the 2011 Franco-Mexican Friendship Award, in recognition of his solid long-standing relationship with France through his business, industrial, social, commercial and cultural activities.
- Mr. Carlos Slim received the Who 50 award, which recognizes the characters who have had the greatest impact on public opinion in Mexico. This award is given year after year by Who magazine, to people whose influence and talent have generated a favorable change, growth and improvement in their environment and in our country. November 8, 2011. Mexico City.
- The Sor Juana Claustro University awarded Ing. Carlos Slim the “Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz” Award, for his work to rescue the Historic Center of Mexico City, on September 29, 2011 in Mexico City .
- The World Boxing Council (WBC) awarded Mr. Carlos Slim the WBC Humanitarian of the Year Award for the contributions he has made to the world of boxing. November 2, 2010. Cancun, Quintana, Roo.
- The President of Lebanon, Michel Sleiman decorated Ing. Carlos Slim with the Gold Order of Lebanese Merit, and the Municipal Government of Jezzine presented him with the Certificate of Honorary Citizen. March 12, 2010. Beirut, Lebanon.
- George Washington University President’s Medal, the highest award of this prestigious institution, in recognition of his business and philanthropic leadership. June 30, 2009. Washington, DC, USA
- For his business career and social commitment, Mr. Carlos Slim Helú received the ESADE Prize, awarded at the XIV Annual ESADE Alumni Conference in Barcelona. June 8, 2009. Barcelona, Spain.
Carlos Slim Net Worth
It is estimated that Carlos Slim Helú’s wealth is 64 billion dollars, according to data from Forbes.
He was once ranked number 1 as the richest in the world and today he is ranked fifth.
Carlos Slim Private Life
He is a widower with six children: Carlos , Marco Antonio , Patricio , Soumaya, Vanessa, and Johanna. Three of them (Carlos, Marco Antonio and Patricio) manage his father’s business.
His wife, Soumaya Domit, passed away on March 7 , 1999 .