Dan Gilbert is an American billionaire businessman who is the founder of Quicken Loans and Rock Ventures.
He owns several sports franchises including the American Hockey League’s Cleveland Monsters, the NBA G League’s Canton Charge, and the Arena Football League’s Cleveland Gladiators.
- Height : 5 feet 5 inches.
- Weight : Not available
- Shoe size : Not available
- Body Shape : Not Available
- Hair Color : Black
- Eye color: brown
Dan Gilbert Biography
He is one of the most rich business mens in America.
He was born in Detroit, Michigan, on January 17, 1962. into a Jewish family. He has two step-siblings and a younger brother, Gary Gilbert, who co-founded Rock Financials in 1985.
He grew up in Southfield, Michigan , where he attended Southfield-Lathrup High School . He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan and a Juris Doctorate from Wayne State University School of Law , and is a member of the Michigan State Bar .
While in college, he earned a Realtor ‘s license and while in law school, he worked part-time at his parents ‘ Century 21 Real Estate agency.
He is the president of JACK Entertainment, formerly known as Rock Gaming, which opened its first Horseshoe Casino; JACK Cleveland Casino in downtown Cleveland in May 2012.
It is reported that he, on Sunday, May 26, 2019, suffered from stroke symptoms. He was rushed to the hospital where he was treated and he recovered.
Dan Gilbert Quicken Loans
- 16-Time Winner: JD Power Highest Customer Satisfaction Award (10 for Primary Mortgage Origination, Six for Mortgage Service)
- 16 times Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For (2005–2017)
Dan Gilbert Career
When he recognized that the real potential was in originating mortgages and not selling houses, he founded Rock Financial in 1985 with his younger brother Gary Gilbert.
Rock Financial became one of the largest independent mortgage lenders in the United States and in the late 1990s launched its Internet strategy and quickly established itself as the fastest growing direct mortgage lender online. The company, in the fourth quarter of 2017, became the largest retail mortgage lender by volume in the United States.
Later in 2000, software maker Intuit Inc. bought Rock Financial and renamed it Quicken Loans. It grew substantially as the leading provider of direct consumer mortgage loans on the Internet, offering mortgages in all 50 states.
He remained CEO, and in 2002 he led a small group of private investors who purchased Quicken Loans and its affiliated national title company, Title Source, Inc., from Intuit. Dan serves as President of Quicken Loans, Inc.
The enterprise moved its headquarters and 1,700 of its employees to downtown Detroit in 2010 and after moving the 3,600 Michigan-based team members to the Detroit urban core in late 2010, the company now has approximately 17,000 employees in the Detroit and a total of 24,000 nationally, making it one of Detroit’s largest employers, minority employers and taxpayers.
In March 2005, he became majority owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers and conducted a complete overhaul of the front office, player staff, coaching staff, and game presentation.
During his time, the Cavaliers have won six Central Division championships in more years in a row. They have also won five Eastern Conference championships in 2007, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 as well as one championship. of the NBA in 2016 that ended Cleveland’s 52-year sports curse.
On July 8, 2010, he received national attention on a highly criticized ESPN television special called The Decision, when LeBron James announced that he was leaving the Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.
After the special, he posted an open letter in Comic Sans font to Cleveland Cavaliers fans strongly criticizing how James made his announcement. He was fined $100,000 by NBA Commissioner David Stern on July 12, 2010, for his comments.
Since then, he has regretted the open letter he wrote when he was full of emotions in 45 minutes. The letter was removed from the team’s website after a few weeks, but was still available on the Internet.
Despite some members of the media harshly criticizing Dan, many of the Cleveland fans embraced him and even offered to pay the fine, but Dan insisted on donating the money to charity.
Four years later, when James LeBron opted out of his contract with the Miami Heat, he and Dan met privately and Dan apologized to Lebron for the open letter that read, “LeBron, we had five good years together and one bad night; like a marriage that’s good and then something bad happens and they never speak to each other again.’
LeBron also expressed his regret to Dan for The Decision and the two men hugged.
Days later, Lebron subsequently returned to Cleveland in free agency and explained his return to Cleveland in his Sports Illustrated ad. Lebron said that she had met with Dan face to face, man to man, and that they had talked about it.
Dan Gilbert Activities And Investments
- Gilbert is a founding partner of private equity group Rockbridge Growth Equity LLC (RBE). The partnership invests in growing businesses in the financial services, internet technology, direct-to-consumer marketing, and sports and entertainment industries.
- RBE has significant investments in Service Station Television , Robb Report , RapidAdvance , Northcentral University , Protect America , AccountNow , Buying Power , Triad Retail Media , Individual Marketing , and Connect America .
- Gilbert is also an investor in Courtside Ventures, a venture capital fund investing in early-stage technology and media companies with a focus on sports and a founding partner of Detroit Venture Partners (DVP), a venture capital firm that funds technology start-ups and start-ups based primarily in Detroit . Some of the companies DVP has invested in include, LevelEleven, I Decide and Marxent Labs.
- Additionally, he recently co-founded StockX, a commodity exchange for high-demand, limited-edition products such as sneakers. Gilbert is also invested in and involved in the operation of several consumer-focused technology-focused businesses, including Tête-de-boule , Veritix , Xénith , StyleCaster , and Quizzle .
- He launched Bizdom in 2007. Today, this nonprofit promotes both tech and physical entrepreneurship in Detroit and Cleveland by supporting field service providers, as well as leveraging its relationships with Quicken Loans and the Rock Ventures family of companies to accelerate small business growth and development.
- In November 2009, Gilbert and a group of partners successfully supported a statewide referendum to bring casino gambling to Ohio ‘s four largest cities. Through a joint venture with Caesars Entertainment Corporation , the groups operate urban casinos in both Cleveland and Cincinnati . The first of the casinos, Horseshoe Cleveland , opened in May 2012. In 2013, Rock Ventures, the umbrella entity for Gilbert’s investments and real estate assets, announced that it had formed Athens Acquisition LLC, a subsidiary of Rock Gaming, and acquired the majority stake in Greektown Superholdings Inc., owner of the Greektown Casino-Hotel located in downtown Detroit. In late 2018, Gilbert purchased online dictionaries, Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com .
- According to professional Call of Duty player Matthew “Nadeshot” Haag , Gilbert has invested several million dollars in Nadeshot’s eSports team called 100 Thieves .
Dan Gilbert Philanthropy And Political Giving
- In September 2012, Gilbert and his wife Jennifer joined The Pledge to Give , pledging to donate half of their wealth to philanthropy. Initiated by Warren Buffett and Bill Gates in 2010, the Giving Pledge is a campaign to encourage the world’s wealthiest people to pledge to donate most of their wealth to philanthropic causes.
- Gilbert’s oldest son was born with neurofibromatosis . He established two neurofibromatosis research clinics at Children’s National Medical Center (CNMC) in Washington DC. and at Dana Children’s Hospital at Sourasky Medical Center in Tel Aviv , Israel . Gilbert also serves on the boards of the Children’s Tumor Foundation, the Cleveland Clinic, and the Children’s Hospital Foundation (an affiliate of the CNMC); and is the vice president of the nonprofit M-1 RAIL initiative dedicated to promoting light rail transit in downtown Detroit.
- In 2015, he donated $750,000 to the presidential candidacy of Chris Christie .
- In September 2016, Gilbert donated $5 million to Wayne State University School of Law, which is the largest donation in the law school’s history. In October of the same year, Gilbert also donated $15 million for the $50 million Breslin Center renovation project at Michigan State University.
Dan Gilbert Net Worth
He has a net worth of $6.7 billion.
Dan Gilbert Marriage
He is married to his wife Jennifer Gilbert. Jennifer is a member of the Gilbert Family Neurofibromatosis Institute at Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, DC.
He resides in Michigan with his wife and their five children.
She is also a member of the boards of directors for ORT America and the Overseas and Israeli Committee of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit. The couple has five children.
His son, Nick Gilbert, was born with neurofibromatosis, which is a nerve disorder that causes tumors to grow anywhere in the body. Nick is in his early 20s and has already undergone two brain surgeries to remove the tumors.
Gilbert’s son, AJ Gilbert, founded a marquee company while in college and soon landed a big contract with Quicken Loans.